KAMPALA — The Government of Uganda has announced plans to evacuate hundreds of its nationals from South Africa following a surge in xenophobic violence and anti-migrant protests that have left one Ugandan dead and forced hundreds to seek assistance to return home.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said President Yoweri Museveni had directed that immediate arrangements be made to evacuate Ugandans affected by the worsening security situation.
The ministry said 746 Ugandans have so far voluntarily registered for evacuation, citing fears for their safety, with officials expecting the number to rise in the coming days.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, working in close coordination with the Office of the Prime Minister, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Works and Transport, the Uganda High Commission in South Africa and the leadership of the Ugandan community in South Africa, is finalising an evacuation plan that is expected to commence in the next few days,” the statement said.
According to the ministry, some Ugandans have already fled South Africa on their own following a reported June 30 deadline issued by vigilante groups targeting foreign nationals.
The government said the evacuation exercise will involve registering affected Ugandans across South Africa’s provinces, transporting them to designated assembly centres, issuing emergency travel documents where required and coordinating with immigration authorities to facilitate their departure.

The Ministry of Works and Transport is also working with Uganda Airlines to provide special charter flights to airlift the evacuees back home. The government said the evacuation flights will be fully funded by the state.
Officials added that Uganda remains engaged with the South African government to ensure the protection of Ugandan nationals who choose to remain in the country.
The government also confirmed that one Ugandan was killed during an attack in KwaZulu-Natal Province, marking the first reported fatality involving a Ugandan in the latest wave of violence.
“On a sad note, the Government regrets to report that one Ugandan lost his life following an attack in KwaZulu-Natal Province. We extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved family. Preparations are underway to repatriate the body to Uganda,” Acting Foreign Affairs Minister Haruna Kyeyune Kasolo said in the statement.
The evacuation comes amid renewed outbreaks of xenophobic violence in parts of South Africa, where migrant communities have periodically come under attack from groups accusing foreign nationals of taking jobs, engaging in crime and straining public services.
South Africa has experienced repeated waves of anti-foreigner violence over the past two decades. Major attacks in 2008, 2015 and 2019 claimed dozens of lives, displaced thousands of migrants and prompted several African governments to organise emergency evacuations of their citizens.
Ugandans form part of a sizeable East African community in South Africa, where many are engaged in small-scale trade, transport, hospitality and other businesses. Previous episodes of xenophobic unrest have resulted in attacks on foreign-owned shops, looting and destruction of property, forcing many migrants to flee or seek temporary shelter.
Ugandan authorities have urged citizens still in South Africa to remain in contact with the Uganda High Commission as evacuation arrangements are finalised.




